Monday, September 29, 2008

what's been up

The Brown's Bistro:


Last night I started cooking dinner and the kids really wanted to help me.
They got so excited about setting the table.
And then they came up with the idea to make it look like a restaurant...complete with name cards by each setting, a menu, hot bread in a basket...
Emily got all dressed up like a waiter, complete with a name tag taped to the front of her blouse. Here she is pulling Josh's chair out for him.

Annie's always got to be right in the middle of the action:




I love these nuts:

I rarely fry stuff.
Pretty much the only time we bust out the "Fry Daddy" is when Josh goes fishing and actually brings some fish home. YUM.
I love fried catfish the most...
But this is the BEST way to cook okra:

I could eat the whole plate myself. LOVE OKRA.

Heaven for Annie:


Did I mention her parents'names?
They had the most hilarious Cajun names we've ever heard:
Jacque-O-Bo My Little Friend
and
Snickers Doe Bell DuFassat
YEP
I kid you not. Those are the names on her papers.
She's the best dog that ever lived.

One of my favorite things about subbing at high schools is the cheesy wall art...
especially when it's supposed to be inspiring/motivational:

Never look down on anyone unless you're helping them up. LOL

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome pictures! :) Y'all are so cute making Dinner extra special ♥
and

i agree that OKRA is BEST when FRIED!! yummmm yummmm!!! i could eat a whole plate full, too!!!!

Anonymous said...

oh yeah....

your dogs' parents' names are hilarious!!!!!!!

Kristina P. said...

That's so cute!

And seriously, I need to come to your house for some great food. I've never had okra before.

Brittany Marie said...

I am in awe of you and your family. I don't even know what okra IS.

And yes, that really is cheesy high school art at its finest!

Jillene said...

I have never had okra. What exactly does it taste like? It looks YUMMY!!

Jan said...

Yum gooey okra. How fun. Everything looks fun and cute and good. Way to roll Katie.

Teri said...

I've never had okra either. You look like an amazing cook. I'm making sticky finger salad tonight, maybe I'll put on a wingers name tag tonight and serve up my fam... well, maybe not. I'm loving the names of your cute little dawgie's parents.

Anonymous said...

i can't believe some people have NEVER had okra!?!?!? wowza...

girl--you gotta fry them some OKRA (or as we say in the south OKREE) so they will know of the Fine Goodness of the Bless-ed Okra! ♥

Kritta22 said...

I love the restaurant idea! So cute!
So creative for the names!!
High School art isn't all that bad...okay yeah it is!!

tiki_lady said...

great fun, how fun!

Unknown said...

Thx for swinging by my blog!

I really wish a big blue arm would help me up sometimes.....

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Little GrumpyAngel said...

Your family is so cute. My husband and kids did the restaurant thing for me once for my birthday. Your post reminds me I'm long overdue for another treat like that :-) I seriously love Okra! People should try them.As for the high school art, cheesy is fine, but the blue arm is kind of scary :-)

Daisy Paige said...

Hi, I don't know you, but just wanted to let you know that on my Yahoo homepage yesterday I saw a report that Cadbury chocolate is made in China and has some of that melamine stuff in it, although they didn't say how much.

Thus the heartbreak and Sara's warning about eating stuff from China.

PS - Cute family you have there!

Jillene said...

Merrianne-
At least 2 of us are from Utah--not an okra state. And--how do you get the cute little heart on your comments? Oh yeah--one more thing--you are a pretty funny chicky! I read all of your comments!

A friend of mine told me that I can go to a restaruant called Cracker Barell and order it as a side. I am ALL over this--I will let you know what I think!

I'm Always Rite said...

Love the bistro! My munchkins love doing stuff like that too!

I love that you have Milla Jovovich on your music player! I didn't know anyone else even knew she sang! I actually have that CD. Yaye! :)

Kelli Proctor said...

what a cute family! You guys are awesome! That is kind of a cheesy piece of wall art. Love the names of those dogs, thats hilarious, how do they come up with those names?!

Barbaloot said...

Hmm--kids that want to help and even dress up as waiters? You must be doing something seriously right:)