Monday, September 22, 2008

Good times at the camp

I LOVE THIS TIME OF YEAR!!!
Something about the weather just makes me feel so happy.
I love that it means we're about to have Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas....
I love that it's going to be cold enough for roasting wienies and marshmallows at the camp very soon...
Cocoa in the mornings!
Cozy sweaters, mittens, thick socks, and cute hats!
Pumpkins and leaves and bales of hay!!!
We passed this field on the way to the camp and I had to catch my breath.

Friday the kids and I took off to the camp. My Mom is giving the bunkhouse an overhaul! I am so excited.

We painted all of the bunk beds a very pretty shade of green. That was a job, but we had so much fun doing it.


We dug up a ton of peanuts.

Here's my dad on RT with a humungous pile of peanut plants he yanked up all by himself!!!

Can you see the sweat and dirt? He drank about a gallon of water that day but never once used the bathroom...

So we took a ride down to the trail where he'd planted a bunch of rye grass, peas, and other greens (for the deer)....

And look at what we saw:
Click to enlarge if you can't see that poor, pitiful, ugly thing. It had just rained so this possum was all wet and looking especially unattractive. Sometimes a possum can actually look kind of cute. Not this sad sap.

Look at those greens!!!

My Dad cut some okra for me. He's so sweet. I'm going to fry it up with dinner tomorrow night! YUM!

10 comments:

Jan said...

I love all these great pictures. How fun. Your mom is awesome too. Love the hay and the okra and peanuts. Fun stuff Katie.

Anonymous said...

wow!! THOSE ARE WONDERFUL PICTURES!!!

and i am the same way ... i love this time of the year! the air smels so fresh & crisp in the mornings....the holidays are right around the corner....

everything seems to look so peaceful & beautiful this time of the year.

your "harvests" looks great!!! i would love to have fresh peanuts!!!

and

that okra! yummm yummmm!!!!


everything looks good!! well...except for that poor ol' ugly opossum!!! poor thing....

Jillene said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE Fall! I love the Holidays that are coming up, I love hot chocolate w/marshmallows. Your mom is a doll (you look just like her)! the beds look GREAT--want to come and do some painting for me?

Kristina P. said...

You know, I don't think I realized that peanuts grew on plants like that. Yeah, I don't farm.

tiki_lady said...

kt, i love the farm pics!!! brings back memories! we dug peanuts too.

Mindi said...

confession: i have never tasted okra! i'm only a girl from small town utah, i don't know any better......


love that your dad didn't use the bathroom once. typical male.

Kelli Proctor said...

so is this camp a place you guys own? How cool is that? Looks like such a fun place for the family! So thanks for the compliment on my husband tag, I just realized I want to know your story, so as of now I am tagging you! Cant wait to hear your story!

The Wilsons said...

I tagged you....go check my blog to see the details.

tiki_lady said...

I lovey you, come to my defense woman! You know what I sound like!

tiki_lady said...

no no no, no worries. there was just a comment about people wondering what I sounded like and a real life friend said I was soft spoken where others couldn't believe that. ME TOO, me soft spoken?? HELLOooooooo! I think she just meant nice.